Radon is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas formed by the radioactive breakdown of naturally-occurring uranium in soil, rock, and water under your home. Radon gas decays into radioactive particles that can get trapped in your lungs when you breathe. This can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer over the course of a lifetime. Unfortunately, the only way to know the radon concentration in your home is to test.
A safe level of radon gas is no radon gas. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “Any radon exposure has some risk of causing lung cancer. The lower the radon level in your home, the lower your family’s risk of lung cancer.” The average person receives a higher dose of radiation from the radon level in their home than from combined exposure to all other radiation sources, natural or man-made. Your risk of lung cancer increases substantially with exposure to higher radon levels. Studies show that radon is the primary cause of lung cancer among people who have never smoked. However, the absolute numbers of radon-induced lung cancers are much larger in people who smoke, or who have smoked in the past, due to a strong combined effect of smoking and radon.
Every home inspection should include a test to measure the radon level in your home. The EPA has set an “action level” of 4 pCi/L (Pico Curies per Liter). At or above this level of radon, the EPA recommends you take corrective measures to reduce your exposure to radon gas. We will test your home to determine whether remediation for radon is necessary to protect the health of your family.